MAGIC CITY – the must-see street art exhibition in Munich
Fun blogger event at the MAGIC CITY exhibition
After seeing some real life street art in Munich (read more about our street art tour here) we visited the famous MAGIC CITY exhibition in the Olympiapark and wow… we were absolutely thrilled! Special thanks to Dr. Carsten Gerhard from Kulturmarketing München for this great and inspiring day!
Are you also interested in colorful, strong, amazing and overwhelming art? Well, then you don’t wanna miss this great exhibition: MAGIC CITY – the art of the street. 54 international world famous street artists were asked to create one masterpiece specifically for this exhibition and the result is simply amazing.
The exhibition is located in the Olympiapark and is designed as a mini city itself. The atmosphere attracts you immediately right after your first step inside. Our guide Martin had some more fun facts about different street art styles and the artists behind it. We first started with the history and development of street art worldwide – from an illegal and rejected activity to an honored profession. You can also see a model of the famous “Geltendorf train” (the first whole train that was painted outside of New York), which caused a scandal in the 1980ies.
To see some of the local street artists (Loomit, won abc and more) whose masterpieces we have just admired in the heart of Munich being featured in this great exhibition was really special.
Of course, there are also two paintings of the very famous street artist Banksy. When thinking about street art, usually graffiti and sprayed paintings come to your mind. The MAGIC CITY exhibition shows that there are so many more different styles and methods to discover – each of them unique and with amazing results.
With so much diverse artwork it is actually hard to say which masterpiece we liked best. Our favorites are the 3-D art installations, where you can actually get inside the art. But that’s it, we don’t want to spoil the fun for you – you have to experience it yourself. For us, the MAGIC CITY exhibition is truly a must-see – so go there and get lost in this urban museum of imagination! For further information, check out the official site of MAGIC CITY.
- We recommend to get yourself an audio guide (I-Pod). There is a short CV of every participating artist and the making-of of all the artwork. Really cool to see how the street art comes to life. You can also experience augmented reality – but we won’t spoil all the fun, so go find out yourself at MAGIC CITY exhibition.
- Plan enough time to visit the street art exhibition – there is so much to see and to disover!
- Pay attention to all the hidden and little pieces of street art all over the exhibition.
- The exhibition opens their doors until September 3th, 2017.
- Last admission and closing of the day – 1 hour before the last opening hour.
- Tuesday – Friday 10:00 am – 18:00 pm
- Saturday 10.00 am – 22:00 pm
- Sunday and public holidays 10:00 am – 18:00 pm
- Monday = closed
How to get there:
Kleine Olympiahalle im Olympiapark München